Monday, June 14, 2010

Where everybody knows your name



I love small town cemeteries. Odd Fellows Cemetery is located in Point Arena, California. Point Arena today has less than 500 residents, and has a cemetery with one of the most beautiful views of the ocean. (If I were to be buried here, my tombstone would say (I finally got my ocean front / view property!)

Despite being such a small town, I have been able to find soldiers killed from all of the 20th Century wars. (Including World War 1). It is hard to imagine the grief a small town must have to have one of their own killed overseas.

The next town over is Manchester. It has a population of less than 150, and a very small cemetery Evergreen.

Two weeks ago they had a volunteer effort to clean up Evergreen. (Mostly gardening was needed). The last time I was there, I took the above photo. The McMullens are buried next to their FIVE infants. I can not imagine the grief of having all five of your children die in infancy.

It is touching when a community comes together to take care of their local cemetery. Especially when the number of cemetery residents outnumber the living city residents!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment