Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Old No Name











When I was a teenager, I came across this tombstone in my local cemetery. Directly to the left, is a much larger headstone from the 1920's with all of the standard tombstone information. It is located very close to a chain link fence, and is under some huge flower bushes.

I always wondered the story behind the tombstone. Did the gravediggers in the 1920's find this body when they were digging the grave of the other person? Did they died together and no one knew who this person was? Was it a scandal in a small town? Was it a Native American worker who was buried? (There is a marker somewhere in the cemetery marking "all of the Indians" that were buried on the property "unmarked" due to the property being a ranch long before it was a cemetery.)

I used to leave flowers on this grave (even though I have family buried here, I tend to not leave them flowers -- which is odd). For some reason -- No Name has always had a soft spot in my heart. I did clear off some leaves and dead grass from around it yesterday.

No Name (and no gender or any other information) does not mean "No One Cares."

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment