Thursday, July 29, 2010

Small towns and big sacrifices

I spent some time in Point Arena yesterday, and I stopped by the Odd Fellows Cemetery. This small sea side cemetery is one of my favorites. Cemeteries tell the story of most small towns. You can tell which families married into each other, and which families struggled with so many of their children not surviving infancy.
You can also see how many families have a lot of military members, and which seem to have none. There seems to be a lot of "army" people here! It just goes to show that war is supported by every community...even those with less than 500 people.
I always bring my dog with me to the smaller cemeteries. She is a wonderful "snake alert system" and I do not have to worry about what is lurking in the bushes!

No comments:

Post a Comment