Friday, March 2, 2012

Where is Rex?


     Today, the dog and I went on a small road trip to the Evergreen Cemetery in Manchester to take a requested photo for findagrave.com. It has been a very dry winter so far, and what is usually a very lush and green cemetery is very brown and overgrown :-(  The local community cleans up the cemetery every June, but to me, that is not often enough.  It is obvious which plots are being taken care of (it is strange to see the plots of relatives of people I know from town.)
     One of the few things that I do not like about cemeteries is the amount of infants and children that are buried there.  Luckily infant mortality is not a common as 100 years ago.  It is heartbreaking to see families who have a lot of children that did not live five years.  (One family here has five infants, none of whom lived longer than a week.)
     I found "Rex's Twin" just across from where I was taking my photo.  I looked throughout the plot, and did not see "Rex."  (If he were still alive he would be near 100 years old).  Often with infant grave markers (that do not have a name listed) it will say Infant LAST NAME  or Beloved Child of NAME OF PARENTS.  I have never seen a grave marker like this one.  No name, simply Rex's Twin.

Thank you for reading
    

No comments:

Post a Comment